Skip to main content

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real.

I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee (http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.



This seems pretty silly to blog about 5 months before the event, but it is kind of a big deal to me. The first step I took towards taking my dream seriously was reading a book about coffee. There was very little investment there, as the book was free from the library. This event costs money. That makes it real.

I know this about myself. I don’t take myself serious until I am invested. How does one get invested in a dream? For some people, they can invest in a concept. They can see it, believe it, and BOOM, they are bought in. I can’t do that. I will see it, believe it and then talk about it for years and never do anything about it.

I have said in other blog posts that I am a value based individual. Meaning, I look to get the most value out of everything I do and try to avoid things that add little to no value. By spending money ahead of time, I take my value based approach and force myself into action. I spend the money 5 months ahead so I will train and prepare for the event so I can get the absolute most out of my money. I will approach the event with a mission and a plan to make sure of it. I will be “that guy” who sits at the front of the class and asking questions and taking more notes then a 45 minute class warrants.

This begs the further question: how will I ever find a way to get out of the concept stage of my dream (which I am not even close to finishing)? Will I have to spend some serious money to be seriously invested in making my dream a reality? Or will small investments in my knowledge and personal growth be enough? I don’t know the answer to that question because I have never done anything as large as try to own my own business.
I think there are a many steps on my path to owning my own business. I don’t think I have to go from dream to opening a shop in 1 year. I have the rest of my life to make my dream come true. That is a lot of steps! I think the first step is building my knowledge at the foundation of a coffee shop: the barista. Once I have that, I will take another step. I hope that, once I get this first step down, I will be able to see what my next one is.

Comments

  1. Just wanted you to know that I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award!
    http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-wonderful-inge-at-bookshelf.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Review of Portola Coffee Roasters

My family and I were making our regular trip to Mecca (a.k.a. Disneyland). My wife is a creature of habit; but this time, I got her to try something new. I did some research for stuff to do around Disneyland...surprise, there isn't much. I found a poorly designed website for Old Town Orange. It is a really cool little strip of red brick buildings and boutique shops (a lot of antiques). There are also some really good restaurants. The kicker for going here was that I would get to try a coffee shop for a blog. Lo and behold, Portola Coffee Roaster is there.