Skip to main content

Graphing Costa Rican in Air Popper

I got my air popper on Black Friday as stated in (Air Popper Roasting Part 1). I did a few test batches just to learn about my machine, not actually trying to make good coffee. I procured some beans from Bodhi Leaf via Ebay. It was a Costa Rican Coffee. My buddy gave me a bag of green beans so I didn’t have all the details on it (elevation, etc.) So I volunteered my wife to help me by telling her it will be utilizing her Bio-Chemistry degree. She bought it.


I set up my station outside and got my wife a timer, pen, paper and an infrared thermometer. Her job was to take temperatures every 30 sec. I know that this does not actually use her Bio-Chemistry degree and it is a pretty large interval when dealing with a 5 minute roast.

Here is the table of date we collected:

Costa Rica
Time
Temp
Ambiant Temp
87
Sun
0
85.6
73
Shade
30
268.3
Warm UP
2 min

60
341.2
1st Crack
207

90
375.6
2nd Crack/Removal
345

120
403.3
150
424.5
180
437.7
210
450.5
240
447.9
270
455.9
300
465.9
330
473.9
345
removed

I then graphed it to see if it compared to some of the other graphs out there for roasting coffee.




The drop off at the end is when I pulled it off. I’m still learning how to use Excel.

The one thing I noticed is that air poppers don’t have that high start temp and drop like drum roasters do, because they don’t have a drum. I have to wonder if that doesn’t burn the outside when you drop beans into the hot drum (let me know). The drying period is very aggressive. My thought is that an air popper dries much faster because it doesn’t ever have time to create any type of pressure. Once the moisture is hot it is up and out of there.

I brewed it in the V60 and it was nice cup. Costa Rican coffee isn’t known for having amazing characteristics so I wasn’t looking for much, but there was some nuance.


I really liked graphing the roast and it is really helping me understand what is in my cup. If you have any insight you would like to share, please do so.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

KAHHN!!...wait, no...COOONNN!!!!

I must first apologize for not posting in quite some time. The birth of my baby girl took priority for a while. It also took my sleep and higher brain functions as well. I’m back and this blog is going to change slightly. So stay tuned. So, what got me back into the saddle? Coffee Con LA. I am super stoked for this. Yes, William Shatner yelling and chasing down Kahn excited.