Skip to main content

Review of The Corner at Phoenix City Scape

The family and I were hanging out at the Diamondback’s Fan Fest this weekend and needed to grab a little something before our next stop. I had seen The Corner many times because I like to park at City Scape (usually less expensive). We decided to stop in to kill some time, feed the baby and of course try the coffee.


My initial perception of the place as a whole is that I love it. It has like 4 different shops in a single shared space. Love it! The only downside we found was that there wasn’t a baby changing table, so my wife had to change her on the bathroom floor (yuck).

For the coffee bar, I saw some higher end Bunn brewers and an auto-Chemex set up. Yes, I know I should not make assumptions about places based on their brewing equipment, but I do. Selling a Chemex is making a statement about the coffee, similarly to serving food on fine china. I talked to the baristas a little bit. Only one really knew much about what they were brewing and he wasn’t quick to dive into the gritty details of brewing.

The coffee I got was a Sumatra roasted by Passport coffee (a local Az roaster). It was $2.09 for a 12oz cup (another statement on the coffee). I also bought a box of day old pastries to munch on (2 croissants and 2 croissants with chocolate in it for $5). The pastries were ready to consume well before the coffee. The croissant was still moist and the chocolate one was pretty awesome. I popped the lid on the coffee and the aroma was rich and made me think of cocoa. The body was full, but right when I was expecting a punch of flavor, it fell flat. The finish had a nice roast flavor at the end. It was a good cup, but didn’t rock my socks off. To be honest, I have not had a Passport coffee yet that has really wowed me. I think it was brewed well though.

Overall, I love the environment. This is a place I could go and work all day. The people were helpful and easy to talk to (maybe not about the technical side of brewing though). No one rushed us after they closed and remembered us when we came and went.


Very cool place, but the coffee was just ok.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

KAHHN!!...wait, no...COOONNN!!!!

I must first apologize for not posting in quite some time. The birth of my baby girl took priority for a while. It also took my sleep and higher brain functions as well. I’m back and this blog is going to change slightly. So stay tuned. So, what got me back into the saddle? Coffee Con LA. I am super stoked for this. Yes, William Shatner yelling and chasing down Kahn excited.