Skip to main content

Coffee Weights in Brewing

I have learned a little about coffee and most of it theory and most of that from the internet. I finally had a situation where theory became reality. Internet factoids became coffee master wisdom.

We may have a dual compartment commercial Bunn grinder tucked away in my friend's office; but if the Office Police come through, I will plead the 5th. The grind is so much more consistent and about 500% faster than the hand grinder. Its worth risking because the coffee is much better.

The dual compartment is nice because it allows us to roast a couple different kinds of coffee and have a selection to chose from. Variety is the spice of life, ya know. Having 2 different types of coffee right next to each helped me see how different the weights of coffee beans are.



This grinder (I believe it is a G9) has what I'm going to call a "timed drop plate." The beans are held up by a little plate at the bottom of the hopper. When you start the grinder it will drop the plate for a set period of time and then close. We had set the time on the Colombian coffee from a while ago. It would grind 29g (plus or minus 1-2g) pretty consistently. It was working swimmingly, except for the few noise complaints that we quickly disregarded as nonsense from those who do not truly understand.

Then we ran out of coffee. It was rough week with lots of blank stares followed by longing gazes. We both committed to roasting coffee over the weekend, taking us from famine to feast. I had roasted more Colombian and my buddy had roasted some Chiapas.

Normally we just brew two batches of the same coffee, but for some reason my friend wanted to be difficult. He asked for Chiapas, but I was sticking to the Colombian. I ground my Colombian and poured the grounds in the V60, checked the weight. 27g. Not bad. I adjust the water by 32g and I'm right as rain. I brew my cup and enjoy the pleasant floral aroma. I give my friend a disapproving look and switch the grinder to the Chiapas. Grind and dump it in the V60. It's 40g.

I didn't understand. The grinder was set to the same time setting, but one dropped 27g and the other 40g.

We fiddled with the grinder a little bit and finally came to the conclusion that the Mexican bean was just heavier than the Colombian bean. In the same amout of time, more beans were dropping through. I mean, I know different beans have different weights. That correlates to why we like coffee grown high on the mountains. They are denser, which has more flavor. Density also correlates to weight. You may use (rhetorically) 10 big flat beans, but only 5 small dense beans to get the weight needed for the cup. That is why we brew coffee by weight and not volume.

It all made perfect sense to me. I just had not experienced it in a way that allowed me to directly compare and contrast two beans like that.


***I added a picture of what my grinder looks like. Not sure it is the exact model, but very close.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

KAHHN!!...wait, no...COOONNN!!!!

I must first apologize for not posting in quite some time. The birth of my baby girl took priority for a while. It also took my sleep and higher brain functions as well. I’m back and this blog is going to change slightly. So stay tuned. So, what got me back into the saddle? Coffee Con LA. I am super stoked for this. Yes, William Shatner yelling and chasing down Kahn excited.