Skip to main content

My First Bag of Coffee


I apologize for my inconsistent posting over the last few weeks. My day job had a manager leave and we moved buildings. It has kept me so busy that I haven’t been able to post. BUT…it has not kept me so busy that I cannot keep pushing the coffee dream.

For those of you who follow me on twitter (@MuertosCoffee), you saw that I put together my first bagged and labeled coffee.


It started on my birthday this October. My wife surprised me with an additional air popper, a stack of ½ pound bags, and a package of labels. I know it sounds

silly to try and start roasting with popcorn popper, but I have to start somewhere, right? Also, air roasting is the path I want to take. So it actually makes sense to start with air roasting in smaller forms.

The bag of green coffee was right around 3 lbs. It was a beautiful day in the upper 70s (ambient temperature affects poppers tremendously because they are so small). I set my first popper up on a metal pot holder so the air can flow in through the bottom easier. I have noticed that keeps the popper cool and extends the roast a bit. I set up a box fan for cooling. This doesn’t cool as fast as I would like it to and is a limitation on my ability to profile the roasts. The most important tool I own is my ove-glove. If you don’t own one of these, go buy one now. It is awesome.


Each batch is about ½ cup of green beans and then I gauge how well the beans move. If they don’t move at all, I’ll use a little less. If they are blowing out of the popper, I will add a bit more. Not very precise, but I don’t have a scale yet. I’m hoping to find one on Black Friday.

It took me about 2 hours to roast 2.5 lbs of coffee. I’m not ready for commercial levels of roasting but I can handle enough to start selling (and saving for a real roaster).

The label took me a while to nail down. I was originally going to go with a big picture and just my twitter handle and blog spot address, and then add a small label with the coffee info. I couldn’t make it work in a way that I liked and thought it was too much work to label each coffee bag twice. So I compiled everything onto the 1 label. I sent it to my wife and she pointed out that I should clarify some of the industry terms (i.e. City+ = medium dark). I have some good ideas for the future, but one step at a time.

I ended up borrowing a scale so I could weigh out the ½ pound for each bag. Then I slapped a label on them and brought them to my work peeps who I know like good coffee.
The feedback I got was that the label looked nice and professional (for a starter). Overall, I got really good feedback. One girl said she and her boyfriend drank the whole half pound in a weekend (that made me feel good). I did have someone say there was a strange aroma, but the taste was good. I didn’t get that from any of the other 5 so I am going to classify as individual taste/smell (can’t please everyone).

I know I am limited by my tools, but I think it is a good start. My next step is to roast a bunch and give to my family at Thanksgiving. I figure if I can convert my friends and family, I can convert others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Review of Portola Coffee Roasters

My family and I were making our regular trip to Mecca (a.k.a. Disneyland). My wife is a creature of habit; but this time, I got her to try something new. I did some research for stuff to do around Disneyland...surprise, there isn't much. I found a poorly designed website for Old Town Orange. It is a really cool little strip of red brick buildings and boutique shops (a lot of antiques). There are also some really good restaurants. The kicker for going here was that I would get to try a coffee shop for a blog. Lo and behold, Portola Coffee Roaster is there.