Skip to main content

Irish Coffee for St. Patty’s Day

Since St. Patty’s Day is coming up, I figured I would do a little piece on it. I have not actually tried it. I have had Oaxaca coffee when I was in Cancun, and the server called it “Sexy Coffee.” I don’t actually know if it is an actual cocktail or not. I am looking forward to trying my first Irish coffee.
                                    
So, instead I have posted a quick history and a link for how to make.


The origin story is similar to other coffee origins. For example, the Americano was created when Americans were in Europe for WWII and wanted something more like their black coffee, so they added some water to espresso.

Irish coffee started in the ‘40s when some American travelers went in to an spot after a cold wet day and ordered a coffee (what else would you order?). The bartender put a shot of whiskey in to help warm them up. Boom! A trend was started. It became really popular in the States when a writer for the San Francisco Chronicle had it in an airport and loved it so much he worked with a local café to start serving it. That is when the sugar and cream was added.

I found the below link for Food and Wine Magazine. I find that they can be a bit…snooty…but they know what they are talking about. I would love to try a lot of their recipes, but I don’t make enough money to buy random ingredients that I will only ever use once. If you are looking for some good directions on how to make an “original” Irish Cofee, you can find it here:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.