Skip to main content

Lessons Learned and Future Steps



I've served coffee a few times and secured the rest of August, so I have 5 more weekends of serving. I'm feel'n really good about it which has spurred some questions. Am I profitable? Am I on track for getting a new bean before I run out? Is this building my business?


I got up early last Sunday to roast coffee for the next weeks cold brew and realized that I'm down to one more bucket of green coffee beans. This made me worry a little because, as you all know, my debt free approach could pinch me with inventory. It's summer time, so people aren't buying whole bean coffee and Ready-To-Drink sales are kind of a slow bleed. Since I have no data on how to anticipate sales, I kind of just have to brew a bunch and hope I don't throw any away. I went back to my numbers to see what I had.

The RTD is profitable, but has a lot more churn. Where as whole bean sales pretty much just has money coming in, RTD has money going out and money coming in a lot of small increments. That means the money I have in my account is not static, which adds some complexity to making a large purchase.

I also realized I don't track inventory at all. I have some profitability numbers, but was only doing inventory once a year. With all the churn of RTD, I need to do inventory much more often. There are quite a few more windows for shrinkage in this than whole bean coffee.

Lastly, I need to start getting ready to level up my RTD game. I can't keep it stagnant for long. It needs to be constantly changing and I have to always bring new fresh offerings or people will lose interest. My next step will be in selling jars of cold brew. This has a nice profit margin on it, but will have another upfront investment. Up front investments means I won't have enough money to buy my next coffee.

I need to find my balance on how to make everything work. The numbers all look good, except for the number of new clients. I really need to find a way to expand my customer base, or drive my current customer base to secondary offerings such as whole bean or cold brew jars.

So what lessons have I learned?

I would say the main take away is that I need to take this serious and treat it like fully operational coffee shop, not just some hobby stand. That means inventory counting and ordering and tracking and monitoring loss, etc. This is my business and I need to treat it like a full business, because if I don't, no one else will either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Review of Portola Coffee Roasters

My family and I were making our regular trip to Mecca (a.k.a. Disneyland). My wife is a creature of habit; but this time, I got her to try something new. I did some research for stuff to do around Disneyland...surprise, there isn't much. I found a poorly designed website for Old Town Orange. It is a really cool little strip of red brick buildings and boutique shops (a lot of antiques). There are also some really good restaurants. The kicker for going here was that I would get to try a coffee shop for a blog. Lo and behold, Portola Coffee Roaster is there.