Skip to main content

Tasting Coffee is Hard



I am in the process of purchasing my next bag of coffee. It's a huge deal, because it is a major investment. It will literally clear my bank account out. I need this coffee to good...and not just pretty good....it needs to be Damn Fine.

I love this, but it's hard. I only have 100g of 4 different coffee to make my decision on. These are the things I'm wrestling with....



Potential: 100g is enough for only 1 batch. In that single roast batch I need to taste it and determine the potential of the coffee. Will it be good light roasted? Dark roasted? Hot? Cold? Can I use it to blend with? Can I get different profiles for different roasts? In about 3 cups of coffee, I need to be able to predict everything I can do with this bean for the next 6 months or so.

Flavor: I spend a lot of time sitting there looking at my flavor wheel asking myself, "What the hell am I tasting?" Chocolates seem to be something I am fairly comfortable identifying (but who isn't?). The hard part is determining the type of acidity and if there is a secondary (or multiples) flavor note and what that might be. Then there are the defects. Being able to discern between a bad flavor from the bean and a bad flavor from the roast is probably a little beyond my ability to taste.

The difference: When you have 4 different cups in front of you and you are drinking and writing notes, it is incredibly difficult to remove previous experiences and taste what is actually in the cup. I had a Colombian coffee that what amazing and I want this one to taste like that, but it isn't the same bean. They also start to blend together. I'm tasting 4 coffees all with a similar profile (according to the importer I'm buying from). They are all similar, so when I pick up something in one cup and there is something close to it in the other, my brain just lumps them all together.

I absolutely love doing this and I learn so much each time I do. I would really like to find someone who is really good at this to help me. I really like having another brain to bounce things off of. For now, it's just me and my wife and I hope I make the right decision.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Changing to Melitta Cone

I have been pretty much a die hard v60 user since I started brewing manually. I love that brewer. I love the idea of the spiral and that it requires more skill to use than others. I'm going to start serving at an outdoor farmer's market and had to reconsider my choice of brewer.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.