Skip to main content

Trying to Find a Business Mentor

I've been thinking lately that that I just don't know what I'm doing. I'm kind of just doing what I think is good, then mess up and adjust. I know there is a better way to do it, but I'm not going to know it. I still have a long time left to find partners, but for now, I need some help with starting a business. There are 3 people that I know of and am considering approaching for help. They are:



Person 1 - The seller
I know someone who has had a mentor develop him and build his business. He is in the realesate market, so it doesn't exactly translate directly to where I'm at in my business. He is a seller, and I can believe he is a good one. I really like his approach and disposition. If I were to focus on selling, I would definitly want to learn from his approach. The problem is I don't have a good foundation to build sales on. If I started going crazy and selling all kinds of coffee, I might actually kill my company by not having the infastructure in place to handle it. I think this person will be good for me, but maybe a bit more in the future.

Person 2 - The Businessman
This person is also in realestate and investing. He is very money wise and over all one of the most intelgent people I've met. He has not built a retail business, but he understands money better than anyone I know. He has built systems that has made him wealthy and has access to other money. These are all great things, but also kind of frighten me. I need to learn more about money, I need to make sure the finances of my company are sound and strong. The concern is that my debt-free approach is very different than traditional business start-ups. I think this person will add a lot of value to me, but again, maybe when I actually have finances that can't be tracked on fingers and toes.

Person 3 - The Entrepenuer
This person has started multiple companies and is currently building one with great success. She has been in sales and has business acumen, but what appeals to me most is that she has done this before and is doing it now. She is going to be closer to where I am. Her insights are going to apply more directly. She also loves my coffee, so that helps. I think I'm going to ask her if she is willing to have coffee with me occaciaonally and ask the questions I don't know to ask, to hold me accountable to completeing things I am procrastinating on.

Building a business is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I thought I could do it by myself, even though I didn't want to, but I see now that I can't. I nees some help and I'm hoping I can find that soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.