Skip to main content

Change in the Name?

What is in a name?

The question above was raised so famously in Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”. In that prose, the conclusion was that the name did not matter.

For a coffee brand, on the other hand, the name can make a big difference. We started exploring this business idea with the name “Muertas Coffee”, which links to the Mexican culture that seeps through the South West. “Dia de los Muertos” is a very important cultural element of traditional Mexican culture, and has very well developed imagery and feel. That imagery can be earthy and rich, which reflects some of coffee’s qualities. The brand name also has to have an image which can evolve over the years and is easily recognizable from afar. When you think of the strongest brands, Golden Arches, Nike Swooshes, and even a green circle with a siren come to mind.



As we thought about it some more, the question of “Muertas” (feminine) vs. “Muertos” (masculine) started to float through our brains. We agreed that for some reason, death and females are a bad mix, but death and the male figure would be more acceptable to our future patrons.

We stewed on that for a while, and wondered what would happen if a first time customer decided to look us up online after a particularly spectacular experience, and only typed “Muerto” or “Muertos” into the good ol’ Google machine. Well…. the images that come up can be quite graphic and less than appetizing. If they hit our site, all would be well; if they miss, we could lose business.

So, we are keeping the name and exploring other options at the same time. If anyone has a great name in mind, please drop us a comment: We are not too proud to borrow!

What we are really looking for is a name that represents what we want our coffee experience to be. That experience will be rich and complex, but will certainly include Knowledge, Skill, and Education. We want to have our customers learn from our expertise, and feel empowered to develop their own knowledge and skills more as they brew their own amazing cups at home. One image that comes to mind is the itinerant minister, riding into town to town spreading his passion with the masses. If you love something that much, you just want to shout it from the rooftops!

For now, we will keep thinking. Happy brewing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Review of Portola Coffee Roasters

My family and I were making our regular trip to Mecca (a.k.a. Disneyland). My wife is a creature of habit; but this time, I got her to try something new. I did some research for stuff to do around Disneyland...surprise, there isn't much. I found a poorly designed website for Old Town Orange. It is a really cool little strip of red brick buildings and boutique shops (a lot of antiques). There are also some really good restaurants. The kicker for going here was that I would get to try a coffee shop for a blog. Lo and behold, Portola Coffee Roaster is there.