Skip to main content

I choose Sonofresco

I have been really looking into roasting. I just have such a hard time selling someone else's product. I know it works, and it works well. The thought that goes through my head is, "Why would they buy it from me, when they can buy it from the source?"

Knowing that I have little to no budget, no established business on which I can build a Kickstarter, I have to really consider how to go about starting.




Currently, I roast using popcorn poppers. I could afford a little drum roaster, but I actually love the popper. For a home roaster, you can't get a better roast for the price.

Roasters are stupid expensive and there is not a lot of middle ground. The small drum roasters are $10k. That's crazy. I can't just pull $10k out of my pocket in hopes to get a coffee business going.

The only option I have found that is even reasonable is the Sonofresco. It is between $2500 and $3500 depending on the size. It is a small roaster, only doing between 1 and 2 pounds per batch. My friend at Pearl Coffee said I would out grow it too quickly. That is very possible.

I feel like I could still put it to use, even after I've out grown it. I could take it out to events like First Friday. I could take it to farmers markets (in the winter). I could keep it in my garage and use it for my experimenting.

The reality is that I can't even afford this small of a risk. So, I have asked my wife to budget some money and I will see what I can do. Maybe I start to roast more with the popper until I can save enough, maybe I just source roasted coffee.

We shall see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Changing to Melitta Cone

I have been pretty much a die hard v60 user since I started brewing manually. I love that brewer. I love the idea of the spiral and that it requires more skill to use than others. I'm going to start serving at an outdoor farmer's market and had to reconsider my choice of brewer.