Skip to main content

Review of Better Buzz

I have mentioned before that I vacation at a particular little beach town in near San Diego, CA. Encinitas is my absolute favorite place to be. It has grown quite a bit, but has maintained its small town feel. Over the last two years, the little town has had an explosion of great coffee. They went from none to four, real quick. I have tried all of them. My most recent was Buzz.

Buzz Coffee (http://www.betterbuzzcoffee.com/home)  is on the coastal highway, next to my favorite diner. I was on my skateboard and I'm barely good enough at skating to carry my lunch, let alone hot coffee. So I hit it that night after dinner.

My first impression was really just awe. It was the best designed coffee shop I had ever been in. Now, I have been in some that I really liked, but this one felt like a designer had come in themed the whole thing. I mean the name, to the tile floor, to the "B" in the table, everything worked.

One of my favorite aspects was the bar. It was a horseshoe in the middle of the building so there was seating all around. This is a design I really like. It has that first point of contact, but then files people to either side depending on what they order. I think it opens up the opportunity for barista interaction.

Speaking of which, This was the best barista experience I have had since my time at Portola, down in Old Town Orange County. She was super sweet and actually had opinions and shared them with me. I appreciated her and spending the time to make my experience great.

Now to the coffee...

This was my very first experience with Nitro. I saw they had it and absolutely had to have one. Looking back on this, I realize not everyone states exactly what their cold brew/nitro is. I liked that they told me it was a Kenya Nyeri Peaberry. The coffee was seriously intense, it really does make it almost a porter. The body is creamy (from the nitro) and tasted strongly of dark chocolate with just a hint of berry.


I also ordered a hot coffee....which I remember was a pour over...and I remember thinking it was good...but I was so excited about trying Nitro that I have totally forgotten. I also didn't take any notes on it, which is weird. I normally send myself notes so I don't forget. Oh, well, I'll just have to go back!

Overall, I strongly recommend this coffee shop. It was a cool spot to hang out and had great coffee.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Changing to Melitta Cone

I have been pretty much a die hard v60 user since I started brewing manually. I love that brewer. I love the idea of the spiral and that it requires more skill to use than others. I'm going to start serving at an outdoor farmer's market and had to reconsider my choice of brewer.