Skip to main content

Completed Brewing/Selling Stand


I know I'm not ready to start brewing coffee, but I do want to make it out to a farmer's market soon. When I do finally make it out there, I will need to have something to sell from. So, I took my cheapskate creative juices and put them to work.


My daughter is getting older and since we have a closet full of old clothes, we needed to make some room. I had an old dresser that I didn't want to get rid of because it belonged to my great grandmother. I had absolutely no place to put it in my house, but I was not willing to get rid of it. Therefore, I had to re-purpose it.

I chewed on how I wanted to design it for a while. Luckily, it was around Dia de los Muertos, so I had some crafts to work with. I knew I wanted to get some decorations with my color scheme (black and orange) as well as the burlap sack my coffee came in.

I pulled the old dresser down into my garage and went to work. The backing was all torn up so I had to pull that and toss it. Then I went to sanding. They definitely do not make furniture like they use to. I had to go buy sandpaper that was twice as course just to get through the clear coating. I went through quite a few pages before I could even feel the wood. I have a feeling this stand is going to hold up for another 100 years.

I stained the whole thing black, which didn't go in as easily as I would have liked. I thought the wood be dry and soak it right up. Instead, it took quite a bit to keep it from dripping and getting sticky. I hit the drawers and knobs with spray paint, then the whole thing with a protective clear enamel. I wanted to have something to write my offerings without having signs, so I painted the top with chalk board paint. The last piece was the backing. I cut my burlap sack to fit a piece of wood for the backing and glued it down. I added some mod-podge to help keep the burlap from shedding. I nailed it all down and viola, it was all done.

It is really heavy because it is an old dresser, so I think I may add a board to the bottom so I can install wheels. I like that I have storage in the drawers and my burlap sack says "Mexico" on it. I want to add my logo in the middle of the front there, but I haven't found a good way to paint it on there. I don't have a stencil and I'm not quite good enough to do it by hand. That will come eventually though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

KAHHN!!...wait, no...COOONNN!!!!

I must first apologize for not posting in quite some time. The birth of my baby girl took priority for a while. It also took my sleep and higher brain functions as well. I’m back and this blog is going to change slightly. So stay tuned. So, what got me back into the saddle? Coffee Con LA. I am super stoked for this. Yes, William Shatner yelling and chasing down Kahn excited.