Skip to main content

Review of Sleepy Dog Brewery


It's been a while since I did a beer blog. For some reason, I just haven't really had any beer experiences worth blogging about. We had an opportunity recently, so we capitalized on it.

It was my 7 year wedding anniversary this February and we decided we would hire a babysitter and go out. We hit The Henry (review to come) and then went to Sleepy Dog Brewery.


Sleepy Dog has been putting out Groupons for a while, so we started there. The package we got was for around $35 we got 2 flights of beer, 2 logo glasses and a 64oz growler. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Our first impression wasn't a very good one. There was a guy leaning on the door smoking a cigarette, rebelling against the "20 ft" law in Az. Here is my opinion on the matter: If you want to kill yourself slowly, you are free to do so. You are not free to take me down with you.

Any who, we made it in with a few coughs and curses and grabbed a seat. The place looked like a dive bar. That doesn't bother me in the least, I just thought that it would be a little different scene since Sleepy Dog is a pretty successful brewery here in Az. It was also dead. It was a Saturday night near ASU and there was maybe 8 people in there. I asked and the waitress said it had been a weird week and there is usually more people. Overall, just not as cool of a scene as I thought it would be.

We adjusted our expectations and waved down a waitress. She was familiar with the Groupon so she got it all started. We got to try 6 beers:

 Tail Chaser IPA - I'm not light bear guy, but this was pretty good. I could see myself drinking this in the summer with some BBQ.

Peanut Butter Stout - This was basically their milk stout with PB flavoring. It was way to sweet. My wife liked it a lot though.

Red Rover Irish Amber - This was probably my #2 of the flight. It was fantastic. It had the most complex flavor.

Wet Snout Milk Stout - I've had this beer quite a few times and I like it a lot. This was our #1 of the flight. It is dark and thick, smooth and a little sweet.

Twenty Plus Pilsner - This was terrible. Neither me or my wife finished the glass. I am so cheap that I will usually choke down anything for the sake of getting my money's worth. But I just couldn't do it.

Domaine DuPage French Country Ale - This was my #3 beer. It had a ton of flavor and really stood out among the others. The reason this got #3 is that the hops lingered in the aftertaste. The Amber was a bit cleaner.

Overall, my wife and I had a great time, but I don't think I would go again. The beer was good, but I can get it at BevMo.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Review of Portola Coffee Roasters

My family and I were making our regular trip to Mecca (a.k.a. Disneyland). My wife is a creature of habit; but this time, I got her to try something new. I did some research for stuff to do around Disneyland...surprise, there isn't much. I found a poorly designed website for Old Town Orange. It is a really cool little strip of red brick buildings and boutique shops (a lot of antiques). There are also some really good restaurants. The kicker for going here was that I would get to try a coffee shop for a blog. Lo and behold, Portola Coffee Roaster is there.