Skip to main content

Starting a Business Is Lonely Work

I've been thinking about my work lately. I don't think I realized how lonely it would get starting a business. Its not just that I do everything by myself, but that every decision, every move, every effort is just me...I'm a social person, so this is hard for me. I want to change this, but I'm not sure how to go about it...


This first thing that is really hard about starting a business is that I don't see my family as much I use to. I get about 45 - 60 minutes with my wife each night. 2/3 of those nights are spend filtering cold brew. I get about an hour and half with my daughter after dinner (if all goes well), 2/3 of those days are spent measuring and grinding for cold brew (I have a small grinder and a lot of coffee to go through, so it takes way longer than I'd like). I use to cook breakfast for my girls every Saturday and Sunday. I no longer do that because I sell coffee on Sat and I roast coffee on Sundays. I try to get up early on Sunday so I can still make breakfast, but it's hard because I'm exhausted.

Which brings me to the 2nd aspect that leads to loneliness...exhaustion. I know that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, and maybe it is just me, but when I'm super tired, I tend to get really cranky and alienate those around me. I don't have the patience I'm usually known for and rather than snap at people or kick my dog, I separate myself for their sake. This seems bass-akwards, but it's what I do.

Lastly, I am the type of person who likes to make decisions with a group. I like to gather information, analyze feedback and gain consensus. I can't do any of those things when I'm by myself. I'm learning a lot by making decisions and messing up most of them, but I don't feel these lessons would not come by working with a small team.

So, what do I plan to do about this?

Well...for starters, I believe I want to move back towards wholesale, rather than retail. My coffee stand has been a huge help in driving revenue, but it isn't converting to whole bean like I hoped it would. As it starts to cool down, I'm not sure if cold brew will decrease like whole bean does when it gets hotter. Cold Brew is not my passion, but it makes money, so I will need to decide how I want to proceed there. If I move to wholesale cold brew, I can do them in blocks of time and get some of my nights and weekend back.

I also want to start looking into how I can do a pop up cafe. If I can set up somewhere with chairs and tables, then my family can join me when I brew and it won't be so lonely.

What I think will be one of my goals for 2018, is to find the right people to put around me. I need a team. I need someone who is good at marketing/sales and I need someone who is good with IT/Media. Both of these individuals can be taught to manage the roaster and do tastings. I need people who really want to grow a brand and can get behind the approach. Before I can do this, I need to start hammering out who the company is (i.e. mission statement, goals, visions, etc). It will always be evolving, but I need the 3 Laws to guide us in our decision making (assuming the 3 laws are not then reinterpreted and used for the robot revolution).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Review of Portola Coffee Roasters

My family and I were making our regular trip to Mecca (a.k.a. Disneyland). My wife is a creature of habit; but this time, I got her to try something new. I did some research for stuff to do around Disneyland...surprise, there isn't much. I found a poorly designed website for Old Town Orange. It is a really cool little strip of red brick buildings and boutique shops (a lot of antiques). There are also some really good restaurants. The kicker for going here was that I would get to try a coffee shop for a blog. Lo and behold, Portola Coffee Roaster is there.