Skip to main content

Can Specialty Coffee be Mass Produced?


Sam’s  Club has recently begun selling “FIREHOUSE COFFEE ROASTERS” whole bean coffees in their clubs here in the Phoenix Valley (http://www.firehouseroastery.com/ ). FIREHOUSE claims to be exclusively a Specialty Coffee roaster, so I had to try a bag. After sniffing each type through the vent while physically abusing the poor bag, I decided to try the “Island Blend”, which is described as “South Pacific coffees with sweet & complex notes. Wonderful aromatics”. That is about as specific as my horoscope today – You will be presented with great opportunities if you know where to look – but it did smell good.
The big question in my mind remained: Can specialty coffee be mass roasted and distributed, or would the excessive shelf time be a violation of Geneva Conventions?
At the office, we opened the bag and whipped out the pour over paraphernalia to the usual rolling of coworker eyes. The coffee smelled delicious and had a beautiful, even roast, somewhere in the City to City Plus region. We weighed out the standard 16:1 ratio, ground it in the Hario Skerton, and brewed it in the Hario V60.
Results: The coffee is indeed quite nice. It is clearly a high quality coffee, roasted with care and expertise. The individual flavors are hard to pick out, but dried fruit and floral notes are certainly present. Despite the quality and special character, the flavor may be muted compared to what FIREHOUSE can serve in store.
To be clear, the coffee is much better than all of the other coffee I have tried from Sam’s Club or Costco. The downside to this coffee is that it sits on a warehouse shelf for too long. How can I make such a statement? Sadly very easily: The coffee does not bloom much.
When I roast my own coffee or purchase freshly roasted coffee from my favorite roaster, the coffee blooms beautifully in the V60 or Kone. That freshness is obvious not only in the filter, but also in the cup. Flavors pounce on my palate, slapping my taste buds around in a frenzy of joyful stimulation. If I fail to brew those beautiful, fresh coffees quickly enough, the coffee is still quite nice, but the taste bud slap-fest is gone.
Sam’s Club FIREHOUSE coffee is nice, but I would argue they have still not figured out enough of the supply chain to guarantee only the freshest coffee reaches the end consumer. It is also unclear if FIREHOUSE nitrogen flushes the coffee while packaging: I e-mailed this question to FIREHOUSE but have yet to hear back. I will probably purchase their coffee as a nice fallback for those times when I cannot find time to roast my own, but I honestly hope FIREHOUSE refines the supply chain to accomplish “Just in Time” delivery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real. I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee ( http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php ). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.