Skip to main content

Brain Space

So, I’m coming to the conclusion that I just don’t have enough space in my brain to pursue everything that I want to. The advice that I have been given seems consistent: Lay out everything you want to do and prioritize it. What better place to start working out my personal life than on a public forum? I’m hoping there are some people out there who have experienced similar dilemmas and can share their experience with me.


The top priorities in my life are:
  • God (reading, learning, praying, church)
  • Family (Wife, child)
  • Writing (Pre-writing, learning, reading, writing, editing, marketing)
  • Coffee (roasting, learning, drinking, blogging, working towards a cart currently)
  • Physical activity (mud runs, hiking, fitness, learning to skateboard, etc)
  • My house (cleaning and fixing it up)
  • Friends and extended family (get together to maintain relationships)
  • Day job (pays the bills and quality of life)


There are about 3 to many things on there to really be effective. That means my brain can only handle so many and the ones it can’t handle are being neglected. Then I feel guilty for neglecting things that I want to do, resulting in a vicious cycle of ineffectiveness.

The first question I feel like I need to ask is, where do I want to be. This is how I would like my priority list to look:

  • God
  • Family
  • Coffee (as day job)
  • Writing
  • Physical activity
  • Friends and extended family


This would be ideal. It would allow me to really put effort into all the right places. It would put me in tune with who I am and what I want to achieve in life. The big question is, how do I get there? I can see right off the bat that I need to get my house in order. We just moved into it a few months and it has been difficult to get everything done with the addition of our daughter. So maybe I focus on that and get it to a good spot, and then I can put it on the back burner for a few years. The most difficult one is to figure out how to transition my day job to coffee. I have to make a certain amount of money to maintain my family’s well being. Most coffee shops don’t provide what I would need. How do I make that happen?


I think I will ponder that while working on my house this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.