Skip to main content

Instant Coffee Is Just As Healthy As Brewed?

I had a 7am meeting at my day job. No one bought coffee. Crazy. I know. And sadly, I was running late, so I didn't get to brew a lovely cup of Mexican Chiapas to keep me awake. So I trotted down to the good ol' Maxwell House instant coffee machine. (I was desperate and it was free, don't judge me).

This got me thinking: Is instant coffee as good for you as brewed coffee?


I have to be honest here. This was not a true scientific approach. I'm prejudiced against instant coffee and my bias may have skewed my research. Luckily, I'm not really a scientist and took no oath.

So lets start off with how instant coffee is made. The first method is spray drying. In this method, a fine mist is sprayed into hot air. This makes the water evaporate and the coffee turn to a fine powder. It is basically instant dehydration. The second method is freeze dried. In this method they freeze the coffee then, through sublimation (solid > liquid > gas) get rid of the water, leaving little coffee crystals. (http://coffeeandhealth.org/all-about-coffee/instant-coffee/)

My starting assumption was that there is no way something can be processed like that and keep all the nutrients. Sadly, I was wrong.

Coffee is considered "healthy" because of antioxidants. Instant coffees showed to have a higher concentration of some particular antioxidants than normal brewed coffee (phenols and flavonoids).

The one leg up brewed coffee has is that it contains more chlorogenic acids. These are antioxidants that add to cardiovascular health, but do not make it completely through the process into instant coffee. BUT...because the process can ruin flavor and aroma, instant coffee is fortified to add this back in. Some add green coffee beans to the mix to bolster the acids and some are fortified after the process. (http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food/article/instant-coffee-benefitshttp://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/issues/8_12/ask-experts/ask-tufts-experts_1209-1.html)

As much as I want to hate on instant coffee, I can't do it for health reasons.....it still tastes terrible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Boss Coffee

In the process of re-branding, we are working on starting a podcast (more to come later). I have been researching and wanted to touch base with someone who is running a podcast that sounds good. So, I reached out to the guys at Orange Cactus Coffee ( www.orangecactuscoffee.com ) here in Az. Jake got back to me and said that he was going to be in town the next day on a coffee crawl. One of the shops he was stopping at was Boss Coffee. I've been wanting to review this place for a while, so I caught up him there.