Skip to main content

New Year Resolution

I know a lot of people aren’t fans of New Year resolutions, but I am. It’s a good time to reflect and set yourself up for success. Now at risk of sounding like a self-help guru, I want to lay out my resolution for 2016. It’s pretty simple:

Sell coffee to someone.

This is how I plan to do it.


Stage 1: Company set up. I have already submitted my request to the state to have my LLC created. Once that is finalized, I am going to get my food handlers card, roughly $30 and an afternoon taking a test. Lastly I will register as a home baker. In Arizona, you have to register to sell direct to consumers. I won’t be able to sell to re-sellers, but I can get out into my first event.

Stage 2: Hopefully setting up my business won’t take forever. I would like to have all this done by March, but it really depends on the state. In the mean time I am going to start purchasing supplies. I found a website that sells cups and lids in batches of 50 rather than 1000. Sure they cost a bit more per cup, but the upfront cost to me will be less. Also, where am I supposed to store a case of cups, lids, and sleeves in my house? I plan to purchase a few sleeves of each over the next few months. That will keep the impact on my family’s wallet low.

Stage 3: buying the coffee. This is the kicker. I will need to either buy some coffee from eBay or try to get my wife to agree with buying a giant bag from Olam. The problem with eBay is that it ends up being quite a bit more expensive and you can’t guarantee the quality. Olam sends samples and I can make sure the coffee is good before purchasing 150lbs. The down side is that will cost me about $550 with shipping.

Final Stage: Attend First Friday in October. I’ve mentioned First Friday in some of my previous posts. It’s an interesting scene. My goal with the first event will be to see if I can even make this work. If I get close to breaking even, then I will attend through the winter season. Coffee is a tough business in the summer and I don’t have iced coffee figured out yet. If I am successful enough, I will figure out iced coffee and keep chugging along.


Wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.