Skip to main content

Muertos Official V60 Brewing Method

V60 brewing is not a secret. There is a lot of nuance though. I find that fancier you get the more people focus on nuance. I would really like to go to a brewing competition to see how nuts they go.

So, I figured I would lay out my method, which is most likely not nuanced enough to win a competition, but I do feel I can brew a damn fine cup.


Let’s lay out the basics real quick. We have the Hario V60 with Hario paper filters. I prefer paper filters because they are easy to clean and I can just add them right into my compost. I also like the cleaner brighter brew versus they oily muddy mouth feel of metal filters.

We are using a goose neck kettle for pour control. The coffee to water ratio is 1:16. I believe the V60 is best for 12-16 oz cups. Larger or smaller cups reduce the control on brew time. I prefer 16oz (29g coffee to 464g of water) Grind is roughly that of table salt. The coffee must be fresh (3-14 days after roast).

I give the Hario a tap to settle the grounds down off the walls of the filter, then pre-wet with 30-40g of water. I don’t mind if it drips through, the main goal is to wet all the grounds. I let the pre-wet sit for 30 seconds.

The pour starts in the middle and I work clockwise, mainly because that’s how my brain works not for any coffee related reason. I try to keep “the wall,” which is the ¼ in of grounds that line the filter. That keeps the water within the grounds and not hitting the paper and dropping out. I raise the bed with about 100g of water and try to keep it at that level. I try to keep the pour at about 100g of water per 30 seconds. The pour will have to change depending on the coffee. Some coffees drain faster than others.

Lastly, I use the last 80 or so grams of water to wash “the wall” off the paper and raise the bed by 2:15 and let it drain till I hit 3 minutes.

I do like to give the coffee a quick stir or swirl before serving just to make sure it is mixed evenly.

That is the method that I have developed over the last couple of years of brewing with the Hario. I may adapt and add or change, but I believe that is a good balance of necessary steps without making it too complicated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.