Skip to main content

I’m Officially Official. What’s Next?

I apologize for not blogging for a while. The personal and work life has been pretty busy lately and I just haven’t been able to find time to write. So, here is my update:

I finally got my affidavit, so I have my final piece to be official. Now I can open a bank account…which isn’t going to happen for a while.

Now my next steps:

Firstly, I’m going to go get my food handlers card. It has changed a lot since I did it 15 years ago. I use to have to go to a building and take a real test. They would check it then take your picture right there and print your card. Now it is all on line. In reality, that is probably better. I just have a really hard time discerning between real certifications and fake one.

Once I have my food handlers license, I will register as a home baker so I can sell my wares.
I have been struggling with deciding on the type of coffee to purchase though. My company name is “Muertos.” I live in Arizona, which is predominantly Mexican influence (vs other Latin American influence). I really wanted to open up with a Mexican coffee. The problem is that there are not that many really good Mexican coffees. I can’t open my act with a coffee that is good. It has to be special. It has to punch people right in the pallet. If the flavor of the coffee does not match the showman ship, then it will fall flat.

One of the really cool things about Olam (who I prefer to purchase from because they have great customer service) is that they will send me some samples before I purchase a huge bag. I will definitely ask to try a couple of Mexican coffees, but I’m afraid I may end up with one from a different region that has some higher grown coffee. It won’t be the end of the world, but I thought it would be really cool to come out in my area with a great Mexican coffee.

I still need about another $100 before I can place my order, so I have time to think about it.


I’ll keep everyone updated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.