Skip to main content

Taking a Big Step - Selling Cold Brew to Real People

The time has finally come.

Time for me to get of my cave and interact with people in real life. hopefully we stay away from those tricksy hobbitses, precious.




Ok, I know that was a really nerdy Lord of the Rings reference. But, that is kind of how I feel. I have been hiding in my garage, roasting coffee and trying to get people to buy it online. Sales started to go flat and I had to ask why.

The two biggest reasons I could come up with is 1) people aren't drinking it, and 2) people invest in people more than products. That means I need to start brewing coffee for people.

I built my brewing stand a while ago, I just couldn't figure out where to go. I didn't want to go to farmer's markets because there are always a lot of coffee companies and they have gotten really expensive. I started thinking, "what are some unique places that coffee would fit in?"

A lot of people have been going into hair salons. I stopped by one in my area and talked to the lady, but it didn't really feel right. I also stopped into a cross-fit gym and they talked to them. That cross-fit gym was already selling coffee there and I was like, this is a great idea. Coffee is a great pre-workout drink. Then I thought about some great post workout drinks and I figured out I wanted to start brewing at a gym. The first place I talked to the managers never replied to me. Then I remembered there was a gym a little further up that a friend of mine said was really open to working with local people.

I reached out to El Jefe (http://eljefecrossfit.com/)

and asked if they would be interested in selling coffee and their gym and she actually replied to me (it's been crazy how many people won't even talk to me). We met at the gym and she was psyched to get coffee in the gym. She said they had it previously and was successful, but something happened with the company so it left an opening for me.

After that, I crunched some numbers to come up with a recipe and a price point. I have ordered cups, lids, straws, labels, etc. I am hoping to sell coffee on 7/15. The last delivery date I need is for the Square credit card processor. Once I know when that arrives, I will be able to set a date and start letting people know.

This is a big deal for me. I'm freak'n out too, both in a scared and excited way.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Boss Coffee

In the process of re-branding, we are working on starting a podcast (more to come later). I have been researching and wanted to touch base with someone who is running a podcast that sounds good. So, I reached out to the guys at Orange Cactus Coffee ( www.orangecactuscoffee.com ) here in Az. Jake got back to me and said that he was going to be in town the next day on a coffee crawl. One of the shops he was stopping at was Boss Coffee. I've been wanting to review this place for a while, so I caught up him there.