Skip to main content

Facebook Promotion and Possible Fall Coffee



I'm going to be trying a few more "firsts." My very first promotion and some re-soaked beans. Not sure how either of them will go, but this is my plan.



I have been serving coffee at the gym for a while now and received a few reviews and a couple of likes, but overall, I haven't seen my Facebook crowd grow much at all. As that is where I do most of my ordering, I really need to find a way to get my name out there. So, I decided to offer 20% a beverage if customers will tag me in a pic. I will be serving 2 days over the holiday weekend, so I'm hoping I can get quite a few people to participate. If this seems to work, I think I'll keep it full time and maybe expand. I can do picture contests and give away a free drink or 1 lb of coffee to the best picture or who know. My main focus is to grow my Facebook following as we go back into whole bean season.

Speaking of seasons, autumn is quickly approaching and pumpkin flavors are already here (thank you to all the businesses that realized 1 month is not long enough). I wanted to jump in on the pumpkin craze by creating my own pumpkin spice cream/milk to mix with cold brew or brewed coffee. Being a home roaster, I am restricted on what I can sell. Mainly, I can't prepare anything perishable. So there goes the milk idea. Then I saw that Death Wish does a what they call a cauldron aged pumpkin coffee. I read in on it a bit. It is a play on of the barrel aged coffees that are so popular right now. What they do is soak the green coffee in a chai tea. The dehydrated coffee soaks up the flavors. They then re-dry the beans and roast them. I think I can do that. It will be difficult because there are a lot of factors that have to be considered, mainly moisture content. I'll have to keep them from molding, make sure the spices in the tea don't scorch at roasting temps, and also ensure that I spend sufficient time in the drying phase to ensure I roast the coffee and not bake it.

I hate experimenting, because it just costs so much in loss of product. If I was buying bags and bags of green coffee, I would feel a bit more free to experiment (except probably not). Only having the 1 bag of coffee, I can't just toss 10% away to experience.

Any who, I hope this is a successful weekend in building the Facebook a bit and I look forward to expanding my roasting knowledge a bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Boss Coffee

In the process of re-branding, we are working on starting a podcast (more to come later). I have been researching and wanted to touch base with someone who is running a podcast that sounds good. So, I reached out to the guys at Orange Cactus Coffee ( www.orangecactuscoffee.com ) here in Az. Jake got back to me and said that he was going to be in town the next day on a coffee crawl. One of the shops he was stopping at was Boss Coffee. I've been wanting to review this place for a while, so I caught up him there.