Skip to main content

Trying to Find a Business Mentor

I've been thinking lately that that I just don't know what I'm doing. I'm kind of just doing what I think is good, then mess up and adjust. I know there is a better way to do it, but I'm not going to know it. I still have a long time left to find partners, but for now, I need some help with starting a business. There are 3 people that I know of and am considering approaching for help. They are:



Person 1 - The seller
I know someone who has had a mentor develop him and build his business. He is in the realesate market, so it doesn't exactly translate directly to where I'm at in my business. He is a seller, and I can believe he is a good one. I really like his approach and disposition. If I were to focus on selling, I would definitly want to learn from his approach. The problem is I don't have a good foundation to build sales on. If I started going crazy and selling all kinds of coffee, I might actually kill my company by not having the infastructure in place to handle it. I think this person will be good for me, but maybe a bit more in the future.

Person 2 - The Businessman
This person is also in realestate and investing. He is very money wise and over all one of the most intelgent people I've met. He has not built a retail business, but he understands money better than anyone I know. He has built systems that has made him wealthy and has access to other money. These are all great things, but also kind of frighten me. I need to learn more about money, I need to make sure the finances of my company are sound and strong. The concern is that my debt-free approach is very different than traditional business start-ups. I think this person will add a lot of value to me, but again, maybe when I actually have finances that can't be tracked on fingers and toes.

Person 3 - The Entrepenuer
This person has started multiple companies and is currently building one with great success. She has been in sales and has business acumen, but what appeals to me most is that she has done this before and is doing it now. She is going to be closer to where I am. Her insights are going to apply more directly. She also loves my coffee, so that helps. I think I'm going to ask her if she is willing to have coffee with me occaciaonally and ask the questions I don't know to ask, to hold me accountable to completeing things I am procrastinating on.

Building a business is one of the hardest things I have ever done. I thought I could do it by myself, even though I didn't want to, but I see now that I can't. I nees some help and I'm hoping I can find that soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real. I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee ( http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php ). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.