Skip to main content

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It! and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.



My initial approach was to have a fully themed coffee company. I approached it like a full mythology. I created a persona with a flushed out back story, answered some of lifes questions, and built a running theme of death motivating us to make our only life as good as it can be. Somewhere along the way I dropped this and never really picked it back up. People didn't seem to respond to it as I thought they would. Over the last couple of years, I've found that people like other people, not mascots. I find that myself judging social media accounts the same way. If I can't tell you are a real person, then I usually don't follow back.

I think this theme could still possibly work, but probably not as an individual such as myself. I think a store could capitalize on the theme and styles. Kind of like how if you see Ronald McDonald at the restaurant, no one freaks out; if you see him lurking in a storm drain with a little red balloon then run away...far, far away.

When I rebrand, I will be focusing more on an authentic experience. People will be getting to know me more. It feels like ego mania to believe others will want to watch/read that, but that is where culture is going. They want genuine life experiences from real people.

I am also reviewing new coffee bags for the new brand. I'm definitly moving away from the craft bags. They work, but they aren't that nice. I want something that kind sticks out when you have it on the counter. I found a company that sent me sample of the 3 bag types, which I thought was really cool and they have really good pricing. I want to overall up my game in the next brand, better green coffee, better process, etc. With that, I need better presentation to sell the value.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.