Skip to main content

P.O.S.

Point of sale (P.O.S.) has a huge effect on the feel of your shop. The giving of hard-earned money forces us to ask, “was it really worth that much?” There are only 2 ways that go.


I would like to look at the pros and cons of the two options: before service or after service.

Before service transactions are the standard. You walk into a shop, you tell them what you want and pay. You then go wait in a corner until someone mispronounces your name. After a series of deductive questions, you determine the coffee is yours and hopefully correct.

The pros to this method are the timing and efficiency. It really moves people through a factory line, making it possible to service a large number of people very quickly. The cons, in my opinion, are the lack of interaction, the mulling herd by the bar, and the lack of quality checks. This is very much a fast food approach. The part I like the least is the lack of quality assurance. You pay and tip before you even know if you get what you ordered, or if it meets your standards. I just don’t like that, so I don’t tip for service I have not received.

After service transactions are more like restaurant service. The customer would order, usually to the person making the drink, and would remain there until they received their drink. At the end, they would pay for what they ordered.

The pros to this method are pretty much the polar opposite: higher customer interaction, no confusion of drinks, quality checked before paying. The downside is that it is a slower process. Though you won’t be mulling around at the end of the bar, you will be waiting in line longer.

I favor the after service P.O.S. It allows the barista to create value in the coffee and gives them time to connect with the customers. It is slower, but I also plan to charge quite a bit more than a fast service shop.


Weigh in your opinions in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.