Skip to main content

Small Dog In A Big World – How Do I Compete?

I was sent this link regarding the change in Starbucks mobile technology.

http://www.paymentssource.com/news/technology/starbucks-mobile-tech-updates-win-over-new-audiences-3021174-1.html


This was kind of a blow to my concept. One of the goals was to have cutting edge technology built into the shop. We wanted to do something no one else had done. We wanted to use technology to make the customer experience better. I realize this will all be old hat by the time we get ready to set up shop, but I still had hope of being original.

How do small startups compete with the big guys? How do we do anything to distinguish ourselves and attract clientele? How can I, who have little to no money, compete with billions of dollars?

The short answer: I can’t.

It really stinks that I am not going to be able to do something original. The reality is that I will not be the first to do anything (as of right now, I’m not done trying yet). I can see how so many people quit before they even start. It is a dauntingly hopeless task.

I guess the next question is to ask myself: Do I really even want to compete with them? The answer to that is no. These giants are playing a different game than me. Do I want to make money, yes. More than that, I want a deep rooted satisfaction from seeing the work of my hands come to fruition. I want to impact people’s lives. Giants can’t do that. They are too worried about getting every single dollar they can, otherwise they will die. They do not have hearts big enough to sustain that large of a body. So small companies with huge hearts have the opportunity to fill the void inside the Giant's wake.


So, if you are intimidated by the fact that you cannot compete with Starbucks, that’s ok. Everyone is. Don’t try to be them. Don’t try to beat. Be yourself and focus on your fundamentals: great customer service and a great product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.