Skip to main content

Graphing Costa Rican in Air Popper

I got my air popper on Black Friday as stated in (Air Popper Roasting Part 1). I did a few test batches just to learn about my machine, not actually trying to make good coffee. I procured some beans from Bodhi Leaf via Ebay. It was a Costa Rican Coffee. My buddy gave me a bag of green beans so I didn’t have all the details on it (elevation, etc.) So I volunteered my wife to help me by telling her it will be utilizing her Bio-Chemistry degree. She bought it.


I set up my station outside and got my wife a timer, pen, paper and an infrared thermometer. Her job was to take temperatures every 30 sec. I know that this does not actually use her Bio-Chemistry degree and it is a pretty large interval when dealing with a 5 minute roast.

Here is the table of date we collected:

Costa Rica
Time
Temp
Ambiant Temp
87
Sun
0
85.6
73
Shade
30
268.3
Warm UP
2 min

60
341.2
1st Crack
207

90
375.6
2nd Crack/Removal
345

120
403.3
150
424.5
180
437.7
210
450.5
240
447.9
270
455.9
300
465.9
330
473.9
345
removed

I then graphed it to see if it compared to some of the other graphs out there for roasting coffee.




The drop off at the end is when I pulled it off. I’m still learning how to use Excel.

The one thing I noticed is that air poppers don’t have that high start temp and drop like drum roasters do, because they don’t have a drum. I have to wonder if that doesn’t burn the outside when you drop beans into the hot drum (let me know). The drying period is very aggressive. My thought is that an air popper dries much faster because it doesn’t ever have time to create any type of pressure. Once the moisture is hot it is up and out of there.

I brewed it in the V60 and it was nice cup. Costa Rican coffee isn’t known for having amazing characteristics so I wasn’t looking for much, but there was some nuance.


I really liked graphing the roast and it is really helping me understand what is in my cup. If you have any insight you would like to share, please do so.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real. I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee ( http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php ). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.