Skip to main content

Stuck on Sourcing

The problem with being a very small coffee business is that sourcing is a very big deal. I keep getting myself stuck between the two options: roast my own coffee or brew someone else’s coffee.


I would not mind roasting my own coffee. I actually wouldn’t mind doing it with my popcorn popper in the back yard to get my cart going. The reason why I shoot this option down is that I’m not an artesian roaster. So it clashes with my pricing model (higher pricing for higher quality coffee and brewing). I probably maintain my pricing model with roasting my own coffee, but it would price at the bottom of the barrel. I would still need to purchase high-end coffee from someone else to charge the higher rate. Reading this back, it actually sounds like a good idea. It would kind of be like a house wine, much less expensive and pretty good; but, if you want a Bordeaux is also available for 3x the price. That still puts me in a sourcing issue and I run the risk of setting a low price standard that pigeon holes me into low margin sales and direct competition with Starbucks (ultimately killing my shop).

Procuring beans from another roaster is something that I wanted to do originally. I have really liked the multi-roaster approach because there are some awesome coffees out there, why not capitalize on their hard work? The problem is that I have not concept of volume. I can bury my shop from the start if I buy too much and it all goes stale.

You know, sitting here reading through all this, I cannot help buy come to the conclusion that I have to roast my own beans for the house brew and selectively purchase small amounts of high quality beans from other roasters to round out menu.


Thank you for being a part of my decision-making. Let me know your thoughts in the comments if you recommendations or thoughts on how I should approach it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.