Skip to main content

Review of Small Town Coffee

If I were not so easily distracted, I probably wouldn't have noticed this new little coffee shop. Luckily, I have to look around at everything (which makes driving an adventure). I passed by and flipped a U-turn to come check it out.




The website isn't working, but the little shop has good reviews on yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/small-town-coffeehouse-glendale-2).

When I pulled up, I had very high hopes. I love this little complex they are in. It was ripe for a nice little community coffee shop. I was excited once I saw the sign out front. Maybe it's just me, but witty chalkboard A-frames are a good "sign." (yeah, that was really bad, I apologize.)

When I walked in the very first thing I noticed were the bags of coffee. They are bright red in a earth tone store. I wanted to look around but I had to stop and read the bag. They serve Dazbog Coffee (http://www.dazbog.com/). I had never heard of them before so I asked (who I assume to be) the owner/manager. He explained they were a roaster out of CO and he used them in his other shop in Scottsdale. I like the story of this roaster.

The second thing I noticed was that the owner/manager was actually very pleasant to deal with. Smiled and was open to conversation. His employee wasn't quite as open, she just took my money and went about her business.

I loved the layout and feel of the store. It had comfortable colors and good natural light. The food looked delicious (though I didn't try any) and the coffee was good. This is a place I could see myself spending an afternoon working on my writing or business plan.

Now, into the coffee. I had the House Blend. Right off the bat, there was nothing special about it. It was tasty coffee that I really enjoyed, but I wasn't really picking up any specifics. I find this to be the case for most blends. The coffee actually got better as it cooled. It had some nice chocolate notes. It paired perfectly with the doughnuts I picked up on the way home.

Overall, I would recommend this place. It is comfortable, the coffee is good, but the place is small. If I lived in the area, this would a third place for me.



P.S. I'm sorry for not posting last Friday. I was cooking for my daughters 1st birthday party. And I'm posting early because I will be in Disneyland the rest of the week.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.