Skip to main content

Review of Better Buzz

I have mentioned before that I vacation at a particular little beach town in near San Diego, CA. Encinitas is my absolute favorite place to be. It has grown quite a bit, but has maintained its small town feel. Over the last two years, the little town has had an explosion of great coffee. They went from none to four, real quick. I have tried all of them. My most recent was Buzz.

Buzz Coffee (http://www.betterbuzzcoffee.com/home)  is on the coastal highway, next to my favorite diner. I was on my skateboard and I'm barely good enough at skating to carry my lunch, let alone hot coffee. So I hit it that night after dinner.

My first impression was really just awe. It was the best designed coffee shop I had ever been in. Now, I have been in some that I really liked, but this one felt like a designer had come in themed the whole thing. I mean the name, to the tile floor, to the "B" in the table, everything worked.

One of my favorite aspects was the bar. It was a horseshoe in the middle of the building so there was seating all around. This is a design I really like. It has that first point of contact, but then files people to either side depending on what they order. I think it opens up the opportunity for barista interaction.

Speaking of which, This was the best barista experience I have had since my time at Portola, down in Old Town Orange County. She was super sweet and actually had opinions and shared them with me. I appreciated her and spending the time to make my experience great.

Now to the coffee...

This was my very first experience with Nitro. I saw they had it and absolutely had to have one. Looking back on this, I realize not everyone states exactly what their cold brew/nitro is. I liked that they told me it was a Kenya Nyeri Peaberry. The coffee was seriously intense, it really does make it almost a porter. The body is creamy (from the nitro) and tasted strongly of dark chocolate with just a hint of berry.


I also ordered a hot coffee....which I remember was a pour over...and I remember thinking it was good...but I was so excited about trying Nitro that I have totally forgotten. I also didn't take any notes on it, which is weird. I normally send myself notes so I don't forget. Oh, well, I'll just have to go back!

Overall, I strongly recommend this coffee shop. It was a cool spot to hang out and had great coffee.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.