Skip to main content

2017 Goals

Sitting here trying to think of something to write about, I realize I am kind of in limbo. I haven't had a lot of new coffee experiences because of the craziness of the holidays and I don't have any grand plans for the future....wait a second...that's terrible. How can a business not have plans for the future? I need some goals.

Goal setting is one of the reasons I think mom/pop-shops don't do well. They either had a short term vision, reached it and went stale; or they had no goals so just did random things that never really pushed them in the right direction. In all honesty, I don't think goal setting for a business is much different than goal setting for a person. If you don't have goals, your just going to do random things that don't really help you get to a better place.

That being said, what are my goals for 2017?

Offerings - I need to establish myself still. Two months of selling coffee does not a roaster make. I am currently holding onto a goal of offering coffee once a month. I don't have an on line store and I don't do shipping, so I have keep roasting and delivering in batches. The consistency is what I really need establish. I have a saying, "Confidence comes from consistency." If I can offer coffee consistently, I will start to build confidence in my brand. I won't be just some random guy selling stuff. Once people have confidence in my brand, I hope they will start to share it with others.

Roaster - This is my top goal for 2017. I want to purchase a Behmor roaster. This will help me roast more coffee and it will automate the roasting (currently I have to stir the coffee the whole time it roasts). It will also allow me to get a better roast. I really like hot air roasting, but I don't have a lot of control over the variables. I control the start and stop time that's it. With the Behmor, I will be able to stretch the development stage and pull some more flavor out of my beans.

2nd Bag of Coffee - Once I purchased my new roaster, I will need to start looking at purchasing a second bag of coffee. If everything goes well, I will be be able to push my average price per bag closer to $7. This will allow me to get that second bag of coffee with a little bit of Mexican to spare. It would be a lot of fun to offer 2 types of coffee. If I have to put the coffee on sale too often, I won't be able to purchase a second coffee until the end of the Mexican, and won't be able to offer 2 types of coffee until about half way through the second bag. The main goal though, is to get that 2nd bag of coffee so I can sustain the business. 

Just a reminder to everyone, I am building my business debt free.

Those are my goals for 2017. Roast more. Roast Better. Keep Roasting.



#LifeFueledByMuertos


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.