Skip to main content

Completed Brewing/Selling Stand


I know I'm not ready to start brewing coffee, but I do want to make it out to a farmer's market soon. When I do finally make it out there, I will need to have something to sell from. So, I took my cheapskate creative juices and put them to work.


My daughter is getting older and since we have a closet full of old clothes, we needed to make some room. I had an old dresser that I didn't want to get rid of because it belonged to my great grandmother. I had absolutely no place to put it in my house, but I was not willing to get rid of it. Therefore, I had to re-purpose it.

I chewed on how I wanted to design it for a while. Luckily, it was around Dia de los Muertos, so I had some crafts to work with. I knew I wanted to get some decorations with my color scheme (black and orange) as well as the burlap sack my coffee came in.

I pulled the old dresser down into my garage and went to work. The backing was all torn up so I had to pull that and toss it. Then I went to sanding. They definitely do not make furniture like they use to. I had to go buy sandpaper that was twice as course just to get through the clear coating. I went through quite a few pages before I could even feel the wood. I have a feeling this stand is going to hold up for another 100 years.

I stained the whole thing black, which didn't go in as easily as I would have liked. I thought the wood be dry and soak it right up. Instead, it took quite a bit to keep it from dripping and getting sticky. I hit the drawers and knobs with spray paint, then the whole thing with a protective clear enamel. I wanted to have something to write my offerings without having signs, so I painted the top with chalk board paint. The last piece was the backing. I cut my burlap sack to fit a piece of wood for the backing and glued it down. I added some mod-podge to help keep the burlap from shedding. I nailed it all down and viola, it was all done.

It is really heavy because it is an old dresser, so I think I may add a board to the bottom so I can install wheels. I like that I have storage in the drawers and my burlap sack says "Mexico" on it. I want to add my logo in the middle of the front there, but I haven't found a good way to paint it on there. I don't have a stencil and I'm not quite good enough to do it by hand. That will come eventually though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Boss Coffee

In the process of re-branding, we are working on starting a podcast (more to come later). I have been researching and wanted to touch base with someone who is running a podcast that sounds good. So, I reached out to the guys at Orange Cactus Coffee ( www.orangecactuscoffee.com ) here in Az. Jake got back to me and said that he was going to be in town the next day on a coffee crawl. One of the shops he was stopping at was Boss Coffee. I've been wanting to review this place for a while, so I caught up him there.