Skip to main content

Review of Sleepy Dog Brewery


It's been a while since I did a beer blog. For some reason, I just haven't really had any beer experiences worth blogging about. We had an opportunity recently, so we capitalized on it.

It was my 7 year wedding anniversary this February and we decided we would hire a babysitter and go out. We hit The Henry (review to come) and then went to Sleepy Dog Brewery.


Sleepy Dog has been putting out Groupons for a while, so we started there. The package we got was for around $35 we got 2 flights of beer, 2 logo glasses and a 64oz growler. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Our first impression wasn't a very good one. There was a guy leaning on the door smoking a cigarette, rebelling against the "20 ft" law in Az. Here is my opinion on the matter: If you want to kill yourself slowly, you are free to do so. You are not free to take me down with you.

Any who, we made it in with a few coughs and curses and grabbed a seat. The place looked like a dive bar. That doesn't bother me in the least, I just thought that it would be a little different scene since Sleepy Dog is a pretty successful brewery here in Az. It was also dead. It was a Saturday night near ASU and there was maybe 8 people in there. I asked and the waitress said it had been a weird week and there is usually more people. Overall, just not as cool of a scene as I thought it would be.

We adjusted our expectations and waved down a waitress. She was familiar with the Groupon so she got it all started. We got to try 6 beers:

 Tail Chaser IPA - I'm not light bear guy, but this was pretty good. I could see myself drinking this in the summer with some BBQ.

Peanut Butter Stout - This was basically their milk stout with PB flavoring. It was way to sweet. My wife liked it a lot though.

Red Rover Irish Amber - This was probably my #2 of the flight. It was fantastic. It had the most complex flavor.

Wet Snout Milk Stout - I've had this beer quite a few times and I like it a lot. This was our #1 of the flight. It is dark and thick, smooth and a little sweet.

Twenty Plus Pilsner - This was terrible. Neither me or my wife finished the glass. I am so cheap that I will usually choke down anything for the sake of getting my money's worth. But I just couldn't do it.

Domaine DuPage French Country Ale - This was my #3 beer. It had a ton of flavor and really stood out among the others. The reason this got #3 is that the hops lingered in the aftertaste. The Amber was a bit cleaner.

Overall, my wife and I had a great time, but I don't think I would go again. The beer was good, but I can get it at BevMo.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

First Farmers Market

I served my first farmer's market on 1/6. There is a random little restaurant in the middle of our neighborhoods that hosts this market on the first Saturday of every month. It was a bit of a mixed experience.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.