Skip to main content

The Turning Point and what it means in Roasting

Now that I have a new roaster, I'm doing research to understand it better. This of course will result in me blogging about what I have been learning. Please weigh in and add your thoughts to the comments section.

The first aspect I have been learning about is the Turning Point.


I found a YouTube series produced by Mill City Roasters where they are breaking down every piece of the roast. The first video was explaining the Turning point. I have seen roast profiles and in general understood what the turning point is: It's a drop in temperature due to the beans being added and eventually increasing after they have all hit an equilibrium.

As an explanation, that is good enough. But what does it mean and why do we care?

The turning point helps us understand our coffee. Keeping everything the same (Drum temp and batch size by weight), we will see that different beans turn around at different times. A dense bean will absorb more heat before turning around, where a less-dense bean will turn around quickly. This is important to know because as you develop your profile, you'll want to make sure you aren't scorching the beans, or dragging out the roast.

The turning point helps us understand our beans.

It also helps us repeat-ability, which is one of the main reasons for roast profiles: development and repeat-ability. Conditions are always changing. The weather can have a much larger affect on roasting then I realized (especially for people like me with very small roasters). Measuring the turning point will allow the roaster to pull the levers of heat and airflow to keep the beans on track.

When it all boils down to flavor, it seems the turning point doesn't have a huge affect. The beans go through a drying phase and then start a chemical change. The chemical change is visible as the beans will turn from green to yellow to brown. That is where the flavor is developed. The turning point helps us ensure that we are on the same path through the chemical change stages.

I plan on running my first few roasts through the Behmor this weekend. My goal is to determine the preheat temperature and measure temp changes so I can see the turn around. Once I see it happen, it will make it real for me and I should be able to apply it...or have a lot of questions to hit google with. All the same, it will be a great learning experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Boss Coffee

In the process of re-branding, we are working on starting a podcast (more to come later). I have been researching and wanted to touch base with someone who is running a podcast that sounds good. So, I reached out to the guys at Orange Cactus Coffee ( www.orangecactuscoffee.com ) here in Az. Jake got back to me and said that he was going to be in town the next day on a coffee crawl. One of the shops he was stopping at was Boss Coffee. I've been wanting to review this place for a while, so I caught up him there.