Skip to main content

2018 Goals

Its been a little over a month since I have posted a blog. I know I don't have a rabid audience, but still, I want to be consistent. This is where I work out most of my business. I will say that I have one pretty good excuse for not posting...I had a baby. My second girl arrived on 11/8. I have worked on coffee stuff, but just haven't had enough time or brain capacity to post.

With the end of the year approaching fast, I figure I should start working on what I want to accomplish in 2018.


First I think I should look at my 2017 goals. Did I achieve them?

Goal 1: Offering coffee more consistently. I tried to post weekly and bi-weekly and the responses seemed to actually go down. I correlated a lot of this to the temperatures because people buy less coffee the hotter it gets. I don't have a big following, so offering a lot doesn't help me much. I need to pick a schedule and just stick to it.

Goal 2: Roaster. I did purchase a new roaster and even made enough to buy a second one to help reduce the time I spend roasting. I mark this one as achieved.

Goal 3: 2nd bag of coffee. I did sell enough to buy my second bag of coffee. It was close. I actually found myself scrambling to get my roast profile figured out because I was running out of my old coffee. I got a decent coffee for a great price. Achieved.


Looking out over 2018, I feel like my focus has shifted from building my roasting capacity/ability to building my clientele. No one knows who I am. My Facebook hasn't grown at all and my whole bean sales are not picking back up. So, here is the first run at my 2018 goals:

Goal 1: Serve My Community. Right now I have defined this as getting out and serving coffee to people in my local community. I am signed up to start serving coffee at a small farmers market by my house. If that goes well, I will see what other community events I can serve. I also want to do a charity fund raiser. It's difficult to get business to partner up on things like this, so this is going to be a challenge.

Goal 2: Have a 2nd coffee offering. I want to be able to offer 2 different types of coffee. This will allow me to reach more people because not everyone likes the same thing.

Goal 3: Have my coffee sold by a local restaurant. There are a few mom and pop shops around that I might be able to get my coffee into. I don't know how viable this is being a home roaster, but I want to see what I can do. This would really help get the brand out.

Goal 4: Develop a secondary online presence that feeds into the coffee business. My plan currently is to start a religion/philosophy/culture opinion channel on YouTube that will be sponsored by Muertos. I want to have round table discussions in my coffee shop one day, so this is a great way to start building that.


Right now, goals 1 and 2 are pretty set. I'm still a little iffy on 3 and 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.