Skip to main content

Reflections on 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I posted a couple of weeks ago on my 2018 goals. I think I'm good with those and will lock them in. But looking back on 2017, there is a lot I have learned and a lot more I still need to learn.


Lesson 1: Get out there and do it!

It took a lot for me to sell coffee at the gym this summer. I was nervous and scared no one would like it. What I found is that there are a lot of people in the world and they all have different tastes. Some people liked it, some people didn't...and you just can't please everyone.


Lesson 2: You have to know who you are and what you want.

I have struggled with defining who I am as a business over this last year, and I'm still not 100%. That is one of the major reason's I had a falling out with the gym. I realized that cold brew is not something I really want to do. I like doing it, it makes a lot of money, but it's not my passion. I didn't realize all the time it took. Plus, cold brew is almost like an industry all of its own. It seems to operate different than hot coffee, which is where I really want to be. My realization lead me to want to change directions which put me at odds with the gym. If I had known what I really wanted to accomplish, I could have been upfront about it and not had the break down half way through the relationship.


Lesson 3: Trial and Error is one of the best teachers.

I tried a few different things. I failed. I made people mad. I lost some opportunities. I also learned a lot. So this year, I'm going to try some new stuff and see what shakes out. The biggest thing is trying. If you don't try, you don't know.


Here's to the hope of a fantastic new year. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real. I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee ( http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php ). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.