Skip to main content

Review of Death Wish Coffee


I have not made it to Death Wish's shop, but I hope to one day. They seem to have a very loyal following and should be a great down-to-earth kind of shop.

My partner and I were discussing caffeine in coffee and I pointed out that Death Wish claims to have an “irresponsible” amount of caffeine in their coffee. We had no idea how they could claim that so we started looking into it. There is not a lot of information on their website regarding the coffee (http://deathwishcoffee.com). So we emailed them.



This is where Death Wish sets itself apart. I have emailed a lot of coffee companies and they don’t reply. As a blogger that is very frustrating. Death Wish responded fairly quickly and was willing to send me a sample right away.

I got the sample, which they sent by 2 day delivery (impressive). I opened the box to find a 4oz pouch of ground coffee and a sticker (thank you for the sticker! It is already on the back of my laptop).

We looked over the grounds and they looked very even. Right away we could tell it was roasted dark. It wasn’t burnt, like French roast, but still very dark.

We brewed it in a Melitta style pour over with 2tbls per 6oz water. This is slightly less than they recommend, but is consistent with how we taste our other coffees.  The aroma was surprisingly absent. My partner said that it was a slightly harsh aroma. I could only smell the roast.

We both tasted and it was all roast with an after taste of caffeine. There were no subtle flavors or nuance. It was straight black coffee. You can tell there is more caffeine because you can taste it. I conveniently had a bagel with me when we were sampling, which helped clean the pallet of the caffeine. Otherwise, the bitter flavor hung around for a while.

I do wish I had more info before tasting (like a flavor profile). That would have helped us I think. We made some assumptions that I believe colored our tasting. We came to the conclusion that they were roasting Robusta beans to get the higher caffeine content. Robusta is known for having a terrible flavor, which we deduced was why they roast so dark. The website and the email response was surprisingly silent regarding the type of bean they use.

It was a decent cup. I don't think I would put it in the level with super fine coffees though. They have a target market and I think it is the right coffee for that market. I will say I love their branding. I wish more coffee companies worked their brand as hard as this.


Update 7/24 - Death wish responded via Twitter that they use a blend of Peru and Indain AB with a screen size of 17. All their coffee is USDA certified Organic and Fair Trade. Thank you for the clarification!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Firecreek

It was getting late in the year and so my family and I decided to make a last minute trip up to Flagstaff to play in some snow before it all melted. It had been raining for days, but the weather app on our phone said it would snow that day. Sadly, it did not. Instead, we got rain...lots of rain. Since we had to wait out the storm, I used that opportunity to check out a coffee shop I have been wanting to try for a while, Firecreek Coffee.

Themed Branding and New Coffee Bags

I recently had a revelation about my brand. I recently finished Gary Vee's book Crushing It!  and posed a question on how to interact with people and not sound spamy. The guys over at Orange Cactus Coffee replied and then did one a short podcast to better explain their approach. I listened to and the MC referenced El Cantante from Muertos Coffee and it caught me off gaurd. I had actually forgotten that I themed all my socail media.

Changing to Melitta Cone

I have been pretty much a die hard v60 user since I started brewing manually. I love that brewer. I love the idea of the spiral and that it requires more skill to use than others. I'm going to start serving at an outdoor farmer's market and had to reconsider my choice of brewer.