Skip to main content

P.O.S.

Point of sale (P.O.S.) has a huge effect on the feel of your shop. The giving of hard-earned money forces us to ask, “was it really worth that much?” There are only 2 ways that go.


I would like to look at the pros and cons of the two options: before service or after service.

Before service transactions are the standard. You walk into a shop, you tell them what you want and pay. You then go wait in a corner until someone mispronounces your name. After a series of deductive questions, you determine the coffee is yours and hopefully correct.

The pros to this method are the timing and efficiency. It really moves people through a factory line, making it possible to service a large number of people very quickly. The cons, in my opinion, are the lack of interaction, the mulling herd by the bar, and the lack of quality checks. This is very much a fast food approach. The part I like the least is the lack of quality assurance. You pay and tip before you even know if you get what you ordered, or if it meets your standards. I just don’t like that, so I don’t tip for service I have not received.

After service transactions are more like restaurant service. The customer would order, usually to the person making the drink, and would remain there until they received their drink. At the end, they would pay for what they ordered.

The pros to this method are pretty much the polar opposite: higher customer interaction, no confusion of drinks, quality checked before paying. The downside is that it is a slower process. Though you won’t be mulling around at the end of the bar, you will be waiting in line longer.

I favor the after service P.O.S. It allows the barista to create value in the coffee and gives them time to connect with the customers. It is slower, but I also plan to charge quite a bit more than a fast service shop.


Weigh in your opinions in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Goals

Sitting here trying to think of something to write about, I realize I am kind of in limbo. I haven't had a lot of new coffee experiences because of the craziness of the holidays and I don't have any grand plans for the future....wait a second...that's terrible. How can a business not have plans for the future? I need some goals.

Test Batches on the Behmor

I purchased my Behmor from Seattle Coffee Gear. It was kind of a no brainer (no this is not an endorsement). They didn't charge tax or shipping...AND they gave me a free 1 lb bag of green coffee beans. It was the best deal.
Since I didn't have to pay for those green beans, I put them to good use in testing my new roaster.

Pour Over Coffee Station

I posted on Twitter that I was going to try my hand at roasting again over the long weekend but focused on building my pour over station instead. It wasn't hard, but did end up costing me a little more than anticipated. Here is what it took to make it: