Skip to main content

Shock Top Variety Pack Review

Shock top is a pretty good bear. I’m not much of a light beer drinker so I don’t drink it often, but the Belgian White is never a disappointment. So I decided to try a sample pack. It came with 4 different beers and here are my thoughts on all of them:

Belgian White – This is their base beer. It is light and crisp and has good flavor. I like it in summer. It doesn’t rock my world, but I don’t snub my nose at it. I would not be opposed to serving this in my shop in the spring and summer.

Schockolate Wheat – I thought this beer was going to be like a lot of the other chocolate beers I’ve had, where they try to make it taste like carbonated chocolate milk. I was skeptical to say the least. When I poured it, it poured like a real beer. It wasn’t think or “creamy” looking. The taste was a dark beer with chocolate and coffee flavor notes. It really tasted like cocoa nibs were in the brewing, rather than added after. This is probably one of the better chocolate beers I have yet. I would definitely serve this in my shop during the winter months.

Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat – This was another beer that has a delicious name, but I expected to taste like artificially flavored beer. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a good wheat beer with a deep subtle honey on the finish. The finish reminded me of the mead I’ve been sipping on for years. I liked it and would serve this in my shop during the fall and winter.


Twisted Pretzel Wheat – I realize that I have been negative on all the flavored beers, and Shock Top was proving me wrong on each. Unfortunately, this one didn’t cut it. The buttery pretzel was only really in the aroma. Which, let’s be honest, who wants to smell butter in their beer? (My thought is only the weirdos who like the popcorn jellybeans.) The beer was a little darker and just tasted like a wheat. The finish had the artificial flavor after taste that I have come to associate with randomly flavored beers. This beer confirmed with me that if an ingredient (like a buttery pretzel) is not actually tossed into the brewing, then don’t do it. I would chase the vendor off with a stick if he tried to install this on my tap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real. I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee ( http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php ). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.