Skip to main content

Feb Farmer's Market and other Random Thoughts


This last farmer's market was a much better experience then last month. I learned a couple of key elements and have started thinking of things I need to start working on for upcoming months. Lastly, an update on the restaurants I've been trying to to get to sell my coffee.


As I stated, this farmer's market was tremendously more successful. There were a couple of key factors outside of my control that contributed. More vendors showed up, which has more draw, and the restaurant did better. Our market seems to live off the people waiting for a table and those who finished eating and meander through the vendors after eating breakfast. I sold all 3 of my 1 lb bags and about 10 cups. Yeah, I know that isn't going to get me to quit my day job, but there were some other positives. The best part was that I got to talk to people. There were a lot more people willing to stop and talk to me about coffee. What is the key to this? Samples. I got a lot of strange responses, like "I would never drink this, but it's good," but I actually sold a few of my bags purely off a 1 oz sample. The tricky thing was, I couldn't find hot sample cups in stores, so I was using like kids mouth wash paper cups....not the best. I had one leak right on a lady's very clean white shoe. So I need to figure that out a little bit.

It was hot this last Saturday too, which got me thinking about what I'm going to do for summer. I definitely have to pull the cold brew back out. I need to work on my cold brew though. I don't think I like the 7:1 ratio I was using. I think I want to use like 11:1 or maybe even higher. I also want to come up with my own signature drink. I'm thinking of something like a Mexican chocolate, cayenne and mocha. Could be awful, could be fantastic.

I've also been trying to get a couple of local restaurants to take me as their coffee vendor, but I'm not having a lot of luck. I've given them samples, I've followed up multiple times....noth'en. I'm really not sure how to go about it. I'll keep looking for local mom and pop shops to work with and maybe one of them will want to use my coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real. I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee ( http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php ). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.