Skip to main content

New Drink Contemplations

I'm in a pretty good rhythm with my farmer's market. It's kind of like a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off cycle that really allows me to have a life. It also allows me to time to think up what to do next. One of the biggest trends that I see right now is having some sort of signature drink.



In Az it is hot, almost all the time. So, if I don't have a strong iced drink game then there isn't much hope for me. That is why I think a lot of coffee shops do tea. Though I know there are people out there that prefer tea to coffee, but their weirdos. Tea has a lot of fruity options that goes really well with ice. I also think people assume dark and coffee doesn't sound well when its hot. When its hot, you want bright and fruity. Think about it...what are all the Gatorade and Powerade flavors? Fruit. Because when your hot and sweating, you don't dark chocolate.

If I were going to do just an ice coffee, I would probably do something like a natural processed bean that has just all out blueberries or strawberries. That would require me to have a second bean option, which I am not currently able to do financially. So what do I do?

I look at the other end of the cold coffee spectrum...coffee ice cream. I consider everything from Frappuccinos, to iced mochas to Dutch Brothers as coffee ice cream. It is coffee...ice...sugar...and cream.

I did the whole cold brew thing last year and didn't like it. I made a bunch of money, but lost a lot of coffee. I think there is still value there, but it needs more work.

Now to do an iced mocha, I would need espresso...but I'm not quite ready for espresso. Espresso is a serious game that kills street cred real fast if not done right. So I want to wait until I can do it right. So what can do instead?

LIGHT BULB

I have my burners out for the farmers market because I'm brewing hot coffee and I have only needed to use one at a time. I want to use my Moka pot to make espresso. Right now I'm toying with a Mayan Moka, or a Mexican Moka. Chocolate, cinnamon and a pinch of red pepper would  make for a very unique beverage. I have saved some recipes that I want to try out along with some Mexican hot chocolate cookies that I may try my hand at.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I think I'm almost ready for KickStarter

I've really looking at how I can make this happen. When it comes down to everything, I need to roast my own beans. I know the multi-roaster model is doing well right now, but I just can't fork up the time or money to jump in like that. That would be a very high risk approach. Knowing that I have to support my family, how can make this happen?

Developing My Palate with Press Coffee

With my re-branding efforts, I'm working to develop my palate. I need to be able to better taste the products that I'm providing. As a coffee roaster, I need to be able to tell what effects any changes I make has on the bean. The only way to do that is to taste. The hard part is that it's very difficult to distinguish what we taste. Most of us think in cave man perspectives, "mmm, good," or, "me no like." So, with that in mind, I decided to do a cupping with one of the best roasters in town.

Investment In Learning

I have decided to actually invest in my coffee knowledge. It seems to help solidify something within me. It is strange how paying money helps make things real. I have decided to participate in “A Closer Look Into Coffee” presented by Press Coffee ( http://www.presscoffeeaz.com/press/blog.php ). I looked over the schedule and it is pretty well rounded. I also have the ability to get Barista Guild Level 1 Certified at the end. I’m not sure I want to invest into the BGA yet. I don’t see the value at this stage.